Monday 3 November 2014

Erasmus Traveling - Istanbul part 3




The third day (Oct. 25th) in Istanbul started with a traditional Turkish breakfast. It was interesting to experience it, and I actually liked it (at least some parts of it). I found it a bit strange to eat sweet things for breakfast, such as honey. To be honest I liked the vegetables, the tea and the bread the most, however, I was also surprised how much better these green olives were compared to the ones I have eaten in Finland. 









After breakfast we headed towards Yildiz Palace Museum. To be honest, the palace wasn't any special. There were some interesting rooms and decorations, and of course, it was forbidden to take pictures inside. One of the workers at the museum allowed us to take pictures, so I did, of course. From my point of view the other palaces are much more interesting than this one, besides also quite similar apart from the size. That said, the view from the window was amazing!








The whole city seemed to be full of flags and cats. I don't think I have ever seen such a big amount of either of them in the same place at the same time. The cats were very cute, tho!






After the museum visit, we kept on walking, checking out some stores and admiring the views. After a while we ended up to the Ortaköy Mosque, which looks rather beautiful from the outside. We went inside as well, and what I know about mosques, this one seemed rather normal. 






What seems to become more of a norm, the actions of the day ended with eating. Istanbul, and especially one restaurant (which name I cannot recall.. oops.) is famous for its filled potatoes. The idea of it is similar to Subway's, you take a potato and decide what you want inside of it. It was very tasty and I would eat one again even though it was kinda pricey even for a Finn. Later in the evening I visited Starbucks in Turkey for the first time. Even though the prices were high compared to other cafes in Turkey, they were still cheap compared to the ones in Finland. hah. 





No comments:

Post a Comment