Wednesday 1 October 2014

My "home" in Greece

On Saturday evening I arrived to Greece just after 3 pm and by 4:30 pm I was already waiting outside of the building where I would be living at. From outside the building looks very nice and has a good location. It's just next to the Aghias Sofia's cathedral, which I can see from my balcony. 


When getting to see the flat for the first time I was a bit shocked, mainly because it wasn't what I thought it would be. It did look the same as on the pictures that I saw before renting the place. I spent a big part of Saturday evening being shocked and cleaning the place. Later it did start to feel more of my "home" because I had my own stuff there. I got used to having shoes on inside even though I still find it super annoying. What I like about the studio, is good location and great view from the balcony. It's also quite quiet when getting used to all the noise that comes in from the windows. 


There is another thing that made me a bit shocked and that is the bathroom. I have my own bathroom, which is super nice to have. It's just that it's not connected with my studio. To go to the bathroom I need to walk on a hall, which is used by other people as well. I have gotten used to it already, but who does really enjoy walking on hall with a towel on, where you can pump into other people? 

I have lived in my studio for 4 days now and I have sort of grown to like it. There are positive and negative things, but I'm sure I can get used to it, besides it's only temporary. To conclude, I don't think I can ever really call the place I'm living at in Greece as a home - real home is where the people I care about are. 
Being at home is not about the place, it's about the people!


4 comments:

  1. like like like this post! I totally agree with your statement on the meaning of 'home'! Oh btw, you have to rent your own place? Or is it paid for by the program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice to hear! (: I had to find the accommodation on my own, but I do get some money from the program, luckily. However, some universities can offer accommodation solutions, which can be an easier choice in some cases.

      Delete
  2. oii ihana postaus... jännittäviä tuntemuksia.. vaikken pysty samaistuu ootan vaa silmä tarkkana millo näitä pääsee lukee lisää :) tuosta wc:n käytöstä vaa, nii sanoit tuos että siulla on oma wc mutta sitä kuitenki käyttää muut ihmiset ? oisha se aika paljo mukavampi jos se olis kuiteki omassa huoneessa.. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (: Täytyy kirjoitella lisää kun tulee inspiraatio.
      Siis se wc on oma, mutta sinne pitää mennä yhteistä käytävää pitkin. Tosiaan olisi mukavempi jos ei tarvitsisi poistua asunnosta mennäkseen vessaan. hah.

      Delete