Wednesday 8 October 2014

Attending events like I should?



While being in Thessaloniki I have had many possibilities to attend events organized by ESN, a group of volunteers, or just to go out with other students.  There has been trips to different places, a karaoke night, dancing, a tour around the city, a city game, and many more. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the trips, but I attended two events in Thessaloniki. I wouldn't say it was difficult for me to attend such events, because I do want to meet new people. I guess it's more about my personality as back in Finland I wasn't fond of attending any events, especially if they included alcohol in any way. 

The first event was a karaoke night last week. I was skeptical about this event, because the place screamed a bar to me. I went there hoping to meet new people. It was nice at first, tho there weren't many people singing karaoke nor could I hear others speak. It wasn't my cup of tea, so I went home early. I found it very annoying because people smoked inside, I have a very low tolerance for smoking. Someone may consider me weird because of not wanting to go to clubs and such places, but that doesn't bother me - it makes me me, that's who I am. Just to make clear, this doesn't mean that I wouldn't drink, I do drink, but the place and the company are the keys. For example, yesterday I had a good time with a bunch of people at a cafe&bar. 

The second event was a 'City Game' last Friday. I liked this event because it was organized at day time and it was a good way to get to know the city. Many Erasmus people attended the event also, so I actually got to know some new people and ended up to Starbucks with a nice Polish girl. 

Someone may ask, why have I attended so little events, and I honestly don't know. Maybe it's because I prefer staying at ''home''. That's what I did in Finland, I just spent most of the weekends at home. I somehow enjoy the quietness, the relaxed atmosphere and the safeness of home. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't be interested in making friends. I know, I'm an illogical person! My illogicality has been brought up a few times during the past few weeks, so what else can I say;
  I'm proud to be an illogical person in my own logical way!  



2 comments:

  1. Omg I love this post! I think we're very similar- wanna meet new people, but don't like attending events haha I especially don't like events held at night. You're not alone! High 5! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Agreed! We do seem to be quite similar, I especially don't like events held at night either, I prefer staying at home and sleeping. x) hah.

      Delete